She brings together media, communication and the social perspective to create solutions for the development sector and corporate social responsibility. Having worked in leading positions with two leading organizations in their respective sector: Times of India (Media), National AIDS Control Organization (HIV AIDS-social sector), she has an understanding of media, corporate bodies, government, society and strategies to develop integrated solutions under CSR. She founded VIVA Development Strategies in 2013 that has 12 clients in less than three years - 4 global organizations (World Health Organization, University of California & Los Angeles, Sonrisas De Bombay, Girl Rising), 3 corporate clients (Novartis, Bharat Petroleum, Sutherland), 5 development firms, NGOs and agencies (PATH, Global Health Strategies, Futures International, Karnataka State Promotion Trust, Family Planning Association of India). The projects are in the social space and display her expertise in strategic consulting, knowledge, partnerships, implementation, capacity building, communication, advocacy and reporting of CSR.
Awards and Achievements
1. Campaigns with multiple messages for various HIV AIDS awareness needs related to condom promotion, service awareness, stigma & discrimination were implemented for Mumbai Districts AIDS Control Society, under NACO. Vinitha led the conceptualization and implementationof the campaigns that won the following national awards in media, thereby making social campaigns a relevant category in media awards
Prestigious Industry Awards
- Emvies - (2011, 2012, 2013)
- Goafest / Abbies (2012, 2014)
- Internet & Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) Awards (2012)
- Outdoor Advertising Convention (OAC) Awards (2012, 2014)
2. Presenting author for abstracts in the 'International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific' (ICAAP) at Busan, Korea
3. Presenting Author for 'Reaching Mobile Migrants by use of entertainment, education and inducing behavioral change through messages of Testing and condom use' at John Hopkins University's International Entertainment Education Conference.
4. Co Author for abstracts at the 'International Union Conference on Lung Health' at Liverpool, for corporate social responsibility strategies to accelerate TB Control in Mumbai, India - in 2014 and 2016.
5. Authored a book 'Brand Creation of a Government Health Service – A Guide', published by NACO, documented based on a practical rendition of an evidence based branding and marketing strategy for a health service
6. Pioneered the entrepreneurial initiative – BizOrion - at the Jamnalal Institute of Management Studies in 2011, that is a platform to incubate and guides startups
Former Jt. Director, Information, Education, Communication, Mumbai - National AIDS Control Organization
As a department lead, I had the opportunity to work across aspects of Communication, Capacity building, Innovations in Projects, Mainstreaming & Partnerships. Led the information, education, communication division where I designed, developed and implemented communication programs across all areas of the municipal health department. In this role, I leveraged my experience with the Times Group and academic qualifications in Mass Media to the fullest to change the entire landscape of health & social communication within the Mumbai Municipal Corporation& NACO. My work with corporate and the government enabled in forming effective partnerships to expand the scale of HIV services in the country. Some of the areas in which she redefined the way media & communication was used in the social sector were.
- Undertook an extensive research study to prove the hypothesis 'lack of awareness about Govt. HIV testing centers': quantitative study (450 respondents), qualitative rapid exploration exercise (58 respondents), media habits (15 respondents), in depth interviews with 3 communication professionals, secondary research of 23 health related communication campaigns leading to launch of a branding and communication strategy for a government health service.
- Set up a 1st ever Redressal Cell at the Health Facility for addressing stigma and discrimination, employment generation, skill & capacity building of 25 HIV positive people
- Mainstreamed the only HIV AIDS Helpline in the state in 2011, Revamp & expansion to complete Health services
- Worked on multiple partnerships with the private sector – companies, industry associations and employer groups for prevention and control of HIV
- Conceptualized and implemented Adolescence Education Program : 100 schools in Mumbai
- Strategized and rolled out Youth Program: 250 colleges in Mumbai & Out of School Youths
Former Manager, Business Development, Times of India
She set her foot into the corporate world at the beginning of her career with Times of India and worked with the brand close to 4 years across verticals: Print (Mumbai Mirror), Radio (Radio Mirchi) and Experiential Marketing (Alternate Brand Solutions Ltd). She provided customized marketing / business solutions to clients in the Banking & Financial, Oil & Petroleum, Retail & FMCG sector. She was instrumental in creating and developing successful business relationships with Bharat Petroleum, Reliance ADAG, Singapore Tourism, Mumbai District AIDS Control Society, HDFC Bank and many more. Her role was dual during her stint with the media giant – one was to develop and maintain long term relationships with customers and the other was to create and manage projects and campaigns with support from a multi-faceted team. Her exposure to the media and corporate world, innovation in development solutions to key challenges and management of people across the spectrum provided a kick start to her career.